Crepe cake with strawberry and raspberry whipped cream filling, Nutella, and chocolate ganache. See how that wouldn’t have worked as a title? My recipe has about 20 layers of delicious crepes. I have been meaning to make this cake for a while now from the first time I saw it on social media and love that it is not your typical cake with so much icing. It leaves me wondering who came up with this idea…Whoever did, is amazing.
This is one of those desserts you make when you want to impress your guests for brunch seeing as it is quite a lot for just two. It also takes much longer preparation time than your normal pancakes/crepes but I think it is such a stunner and so different from just having crepes and stuffing them with fruits and whipped cream. I used my sister’s pancake recipe method.
10 tablespoons sugar
500g whipping cream
200g whipping cream
200g dark chocolate
- In a large bowl add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and mix until combined and fluffy.
- Add half the flour and mix well then add the other half. Once properly mixed, add the milk slowly until there are no lumps and the batter is thin. Add milk if too thick.
- In a pan brush some butter, using a ladle pour the batter into the pan and swirl the pan spreading out the batter into a thin crepe. Cook for 1 minute or until brown and flip on the other side and cook for 30 seconds. You can also use a cup and measure out 1/4 of the batter. Make sure it is not thick. Repeat until cooked all. Leave them to cool completely.
- In a bowl place the strawberries, raspberries and 2-3 tablespoon sugar and mash the fruits. Set aside.
- Filling: Place the bowl and whisk you will be using for the whipping cream in the freezer for 10 minutes. Pour the whipping cream and sugar in the bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Mix in the strawberries and raspberries gently.
- Ganache: Heat the whipping cream in the microwave or pan making sure it does not boil and add the chocolate. Leave it for 30 seconds covered, then mix until smooth and silky and no lumps of chocolate. Keep it in the fridge until ready to use stirring often.
- Place the first crepe on the plate you will be serving the crepe cake on. Spread a thin layer of the whipped cream and using as spoon sprinkle some Nutella on top. Repeat this for all the crepes. I had about 20 layers. You can serve it like this or follow the steps below.
- Place the crepes in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up. Cut the edges of the crepe cake to even it out using scissors.
- Spread the ganache on the crepe and even out around the cake and top. Garnish with strawberries, raspberries and mint leaves.