What did you guys do for Father’s day? Let me give you a rough idea of what I decided to do. I made breakfast for my husband, well yes I do make him breakfast on other days but I wanted something out of the norm. Not the usual sausages, eggs, and baked beans, actually I did use those ingredients but in a different way. In my mind all I wanted was Filo pastry with something. At first, I thought maybe salmon, but I was too lazy to go to Carrefour in the morning and that is why I decided on a quiche in Filo pastry. Been meaning to buy Filo pastry for the longest, can you imagine I have never made anything with filo pastry? I guess the fact that I can’t make it, put me off. And hey it’s not like it is the cheapest item either.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes||Cook Time: 40 minutes|
8 rashes of Bacon
1 bunch Spinach
50g cream cheese
4 cooked sausages, cut up
1/2 onion cut into small cubes
1/2 red pepper cut into small cubes
- Fry the bacon in a pan to your liking, remove and cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Drain out the oil from the bacon and add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until done. Put it in a bowl and add the cream cheese and mix until combined.
- Add a little of the fat from the bacon in the pan and fry the onion and peppers until translucent. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add the eggs. Season with salt and pepper and mix until combined.
- Butter the dish well, then lay the first filo pastry and brush with butter. Repeat this step until you have 6 filo pastries. Remember to brush each layer with butter. There will be filo pastry hanging on from the sides.
- Add the quiche mixture and even it out. Fold in the pastry that is hanging on the side brushing each one with butter. Sprinkle the top of the filo with water to prevent the pastry from curling when baking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, cover the filo with foil if the top starts to brown too fast (I checked mine half way through).
- Remove the quiche gently from the dish to a chopping board, cut to desired size and garnish with coriander.